Thursday, January 24, 2013

2D and 3D Figures Book

With 8th grade, Two-dimensional and Three-dimensional figures are review, so I spend two days going over both topics.  In the past, I have done the normal... take notes in a graphic organizer. This year, I decided to go with a hands on approach.  I created a book in which the kids will review all concepts about 2D and 3D figures.  We have worked on this the past two days, and it has been GREAT!

For this week, I have my desks set up in groups of 4 for cooperative learning.  I have 3 instruction sheets per group. They include:

  • Details of what should be on each page of the book
  • Details  for 2D figures
  • Details for 3D figures


I gave each student 5 pieces of paper that they used to create a booklet.  They also received a set of 2D figures, and on the second day, I gave them the 3D figures.

2D Figures Section:


  • Write the name on the figure
  • Under the figure write:
  • –Congruent sides
  • –Types of Angles
  • –Total # degrees d = 180(n-2) n is the # of sides
  • –Formula for Area
  • –Formula for Perimeter or Circumference



With this section, we spent about 10 minutes with a full class discussion over how to find the congruent sides, classify angles, and calculate the degrees.  We also discussed how to find perimeter when a formula is not given.  I gave everyone a formula chart, so they were able to refer to that for the area calculations.  We talked about how to find the area of pentagons, hexagons, etc.  With an illustration on the SMARTboard, the kids were able to see how to find these.  Complex figures can be tricky!!!

It nevers fails to amaze me that although these kids are in 8th grade, some of them have forgotten some if not all these facts.

3D Figures Section:


  • Cut the figure out and tape one side to the paper.
  • Write the name on the figure.
  • Under the figure, write:
  • •Name of base (all have a base except one)
  • •Number of edges (if any)
  • •Number of vertices (if any)
  • •Shape and number of





With this section we spent about 5 minutes with a full class discussion over the difference between prisms and pyramids.  We discussed that the base is not always what the figure is sitting on.

Throughout both days, I walked around the room talking with each group. I told them to raise their hand before they shaded in the bases to make sure they were correct.

Of course, since the first day of school, I have talked to them about how to ask a question.  NEVER just say, "how do I do this" or "I don't know".  Once they begin with what they do know and what they think they should do, I am there to ask them questions which helps them arrive at the answer.  When they find the answer, it always provides for better understanding.

Tomorrow, we are reviewing over nets, so they will be adding in measurements and characteristics on the last few pages of their book.

Over the next few weeks, we will go over Volume and Surface Area, so I have a 3d figures part 2.  In this section, we will go back and add the formulas for each figure.

I am very pleased with how this turned out!  I am glad that I turned this into a hands-on activity.

Go to my store to get the full activity complete with figures!

Happy Figure Reviewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment