Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Attention Grabbers

Most teachers have some way of getting the attention of the class.
I have seen lights that go off and on.
Hands in the air.
A bell that rings.
I have even heard the teacher battling with the raised voice of BE QUIET!

A few years ago, I took the little section from the cha cha slide.
"Freeze....Everybody clap your hands"
As soon as the kids hear it, they do the clap pattern like in the song.  They took to it so well, I even have that little part on a cd of little things I will sometimes play in the class (I have other snippets from various kids show about please and thank you, being proud of doing something good, etc.  Of course, we practice "pulling back" after we do the clap part.  That takes a little practice, but it works!

I think I am going to add an extra one this year.  I have been looking around trying to find something that I think my kids would like.  I found this one, and I even adapted it to make it work for math.
me:  Bada ba bap ba
kids:  I'm loving math
In case you couldn't tell, that is one of the slogans for the golden arches (well not the math part...that is all me)!

Again, you have to make sure you go over what needs to happen once they hear the attention grabber.  I think it will be good to have a few different ones to use.

Happy grabbing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment